The United Methodist Church of Upland held its final service on November 19, 2017. This was the final church in Upland and served the town for 130 years. The following is an excerpt from a book published to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the church.
In the mid 1880s people from the “old countries” began settling in the community which was to become Upland. Being of religious nature, their church services were held in their homes which were very primitive. Desiring a central place for worship, a small group decided to build a church. A lot on the present location was donated by Lincoln Land Company for one dollar.
In 1887, the Methodist Episcopal Church was organized by Rev. J.P. Durham in the office of Duff Grain Company. The church was erected by donated labor. Total cost was $531.75 for the 28 x 42 foot building. There were eight charter members: Mr. and Mrs. J.E. Howell, Mr. and Mrs. Samuel George, Mr. and Mrs. George W. Norman, Mrs. Lucinda Nielsen, and Mrs. Henry.
for full story see November 29 Courier